Decoupage photo frames are an old stand by in the craft world and are the perfect photo gift for your favorite faces! Best of all, you can purchase inexpensive frames at the thrift store and make these wonderful unique photo gifts in an evening.
Important tip: Don’t use inkjet images to glue onto your picture frame as they will smear when you brush the decoupage medium on top of them!
- Simple frames with flat, wide surfaces.
- Acrylic Paint of your favorite colors
- Ephemera, gift wrap, stickers,cut outs from magazines etc.
- Mod Podge or decoupage medium
- Gel Medium
- Spray Varnish or Poly
- Tacky Glue
- Painters Tape
- Small/Medium flat paint brushes
- Small sharp scissors
- Assorted embellishments: rhinestones,studs,buttons etc.
- Mask off areas of the frame which are not to be painted.
- Paint two light coats with medium brush. Let dry between coats.
- Cut out motifs from materials you’ve collected. Tip: Place similar shapes in each corner and the top and bottom of the frame, to balance the piece. You can overlap motifs or leave spaces. It’s a personal choice.
- With the smaller brush, apply decoupage medium to the back of each image. Reposition it on the frame, gently pressing and smoothing with your finger. Don’t fuss to much! Let dry according to directions.
- Once images have dried, spray frame in well ventilated area with 2 coats of spray varnish, let dry after each coat.
- Once the frame is completely dry you can use Tacky Glue or Weldbond to add additional embellishments.
- Remove masking tape and insert picture.