Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. – Albert Einstein
Basic instruction for indoor mosaic tile construction:
- Cut pieces to size – wear safety glasses.
- Glue pieces to the a prepared surface like this one with Mastic (it’s not concrete)
- Let the glued pieces dry for at least 24 hours
- Prepare grout according to instructions – put on gloves
- Grout the piece filling in all the gaps but avoiding delicate objects
- Then clean off the wet grout until it’s shiny
- Dispose of unused grout properly … meaning NOT DOWN THE DRAIN – you’ll be sorry.
- Let the cleaned piece dry for another 24 hours and polish with a soft cloth as needed
- Seal with grout sealer found at any tile or home improvement store
Start with a base and found pieces
Attach the random pieces to the base with mastic found at the home improvement store.
Let the glued pieces dry for 24 hours and grout.
Wipe grout off and keep polishing until clean. Let dry 24 hours. Seal with grout sealer.
Art disturbs, science reassures. ~Georges Braque
WordPress.com is excited to announce our newest offering: a course just for beginning bloggers where you’ll learn everything you need to know about blogging from the most trusted experts in the industry. We have helped millions of blogs get up and running, we know what works, and we want you to to know everything we know. This course provides all the fundamental skills and inspiration you need to get your blog started, an interactive community forum, and content updated annually.
So how does this whole custom grout color thing work?
I’ve tried using various paints, acrylic and the like, to customize a grout color but I wasn’t happy with the shiny bubble gum look after the grout dried. Turned to grout pigment and it works great. We use to sell it at the shop and may still again … just not right now:(
Bright Blue Grout
Brown Grout Pigment
Grassy Green Grout Pigment
Plum Grout Pigment
Red Rose Grout Pigment
Sandstone Grout Pigment
Terr Cotta Grout Pigment
Yellow Grout Pigment
Grout pigments are highly concentrated and small amounts should be added incrementally until the desired color intensity is reached.
Grout Pigment Directions:
- Use one teaspoon of dry colorant for every 8 ounces of grout. Sanded grout is preferred in most of my projects.
- Dissolve pigment in water (or grout additive) before mixing with dry grout.
- Mix well, give it a sec
- Pray a little.
- Clean, polish, seal.
got it right.