DIY Light Switch Covers:
- Start with a HARD plastic light switch cover … found at home improvement and hardware stores. If the plastic is bendy … pass.
- You can use wood and metal light switch covers too. Makes no never mind. 😉
- Coat the light switch cover with Weldbond adhesive and let dry. You don’t have to coat the switch plate but … it really helps things stick better.
- Glue color fast beads and/or tile around the light switch opening with Weldbond.
- Now glue from the outside in. That way you’ll know how much room you have left to work with.
- Continue to glue the rest of your design.
- Allow the glue to dry for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Finish off the light switch cover by gluing color fast beads around the edges of the border tile and let it dry for another 24 hours.
- Yes it’s tough to wait for everything to dry but … you really have to or … you’ll really be bummed!
- Before grouting … cover delicate items (jewels etc) with painter’s tape before grouting.
- After the light switch cover is completely dry … mix sanded grout (color of choice) with liquid grout additive, instead of water, for more flexibility.
- Let dry for another 24 hours.
- Seal the entire light switch cover with grout sealer.
- Again … let it dry overnight and install.
- Depending on the height of the pieces surrounding the light switch holes … you may need to purchase longer screws for ease in use.
- Switch plate covers of your choice. Plastic, wood or metal
- Weldbond Adhesive
- Painters Tape
- Wheeled Nipper
- Bits and pieces of ceramic tile, china, jewels etc.
- Foam Brush
- Painters Tape
- Wooden Skewer
- Paper Towel
- Sanded Grout, Grout Additive and Grout Sealer
- Longer Screws, if needed