Truth be told … the hardest part of mosaic tiling a bowling ball is … finding the bowling ball.
Now that she’s got me going … anyone have an old bowling ball that they want to get rid of ? 🙂
Mosaic tiled bowling balls or … mosaic tiled gazing balls … are pretty easy to create by preparing the surface properly and using the right adhesive.
MOSAIC TILE BOWLING BALL SUPPLIES
- Bowling Ball
- Flat Tile Materials in ceramic, stained glass, vintage china, mirror and glass gems
- Weatherproof/Waterproof Adhesive … Best choices – GE II Silicone • E6000 • Clear Liquid Nails
- Sandpaper medium grade is fine
- Sanded grout – FYI … darker shades won’t show the wear that lighter shades of grout will
- Grout Additive (Used to mix grout instead of using water. Makes the grout more flexible and can help prevent cracking)
- Grout or Masonry clear sealant
MOSAIC TILE GAZING BALL PROJECT
- Clean the bowling ball. Let it dry.
- Seal the finger holes, if you don’t want to use them. Again, a MacGyver thing.
- Rough up the ball using the sandpaper … or you can cover the ball with tile mesh before gluing … ask me.
- Always wear safety glasses when cutting tile or glass.
- Organize mosaic tile materials by choosing pieces that are close to the same thickness, for uniformity.
- Using a wheeled tile nipper, mosaic tile cutter or glass cutter … cut the tile, glass or china pieces before you start gluing.
- Prop the bowling bowl on a large weighted coffee can … or something comparable.
- Grab your adhesive and start gluing. (FYI…Adhesives for this project are TOXIC. Best to do this in a very well ventilated area or outside.)
- A little patience is needed. It’s round!
- If pieces don’t lie flat … cut them smaller.
- This project takes multiple days. Glue one side of the bowling ball. Let it dry for at least 24 hours. Longer is always better!
- Glue the other side of the bowling ball and let that dry for at least 24 hours. Again, longer is better.
- Grout. Read the directions.
- Remove grout and clean.
- Cover with a dry cleaning bag (or something comparable) to allow the grout to dry slower and hopefully prevent cracking.
- Wait at least 24 hours.
- Uncover and polish.
- Let it cure for a few more days, polishing everyday.
- Seal finished piece with grout or masonry clear sealant. Read the directions.
FYI … Mosaic Tiled Gazing Balls and handmade mosaic tile garden art should be brought in during colder months and resealed each season.
all rights reserved copyright © mara lee. please do not copy, distribute, duplicate or create derivative works using my original designs and photography. thank you very much!