If someone had asked me how many mosaic tile supplies there are in my studio, my answer would have been 2 maybe 300 variations of tile and glass.
Well, our Etsy shop just reached our 100th item (whew!) and I haven’t even nicked the surface.
I’m finding that the most difficult thing about posting on Etsy is going through the motions to post an item only to realize that I’m not ready to part with it.
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. – Albert Einstein
Basic instruction for indoor mosaic tile construction:
- Cut pieces to size – wear safety glasses.
- Glue pieces to the a prepared surface like this one with Mastic (it’s not concrete)
- Let the glued pieces dry for at least 24 hours
- Prepare grout according to instructions – put on gloves
- Grout the piece filling in all the gaps but avoiding delicate objects
- Then clean off the wet grout until it’s shiny
- Dispose of unused grout properly … meaning NOT DOWN THE DRAIN – you’ll be sorry.
- Let the cleaned piece dry for another 24 hours and polish with a soft cloth as needed
- Seal with grout sealer found at any tile or home improvement store
Start with a base and found pieces
Attach the random pieces to the base with mastic found at the home improvement store.
Let the glued pieces dry for 24 hours and grout.
Wipe grout off and keep polishing until clean. Let dry 24 hours. Seal with grout sealer.
Art disturbs, science reassures. ~Georges Braque